If you are interested in having an author photo considered for your book cover, please submit your photo by email it to your acquisition editor’s assistant. Due to space constraints, the University of Nebraska Press cannot guarantee that your photo will be used on your book’s cover, however it can be used in various marketing and promotional materials for your book.
The deadline for author photos is six months prior to your book’s publication date. For example, if your book is scheduled for a September publication date, you should submit your photograph no later than March 1.
We suggest that you choose a photographic studio or have a friend or family member take a few photos of you. Please show these guidelines to the photographer to ensure the photographer understands what is required.
- Photos can be in color or black & white
- ‘Business casual’ clothing
- Author must look straight at the camera
- We need your head, neck, and shoulders in the shot. If the photo is taken further away it may be cropped by Press staff in order to achieve this requirement. Ask the photographer to take a selection of shots using different techniques and poses.
What to Avoid
- Inappropriate props—if you are using props please ensure relevance to your book.
- No sunglasses, please.
Lighting and Background
- Lighting must come from all over
- Clothing must contrast with the background.
Photos should be as high resolution as possible (tif or jpg format). Electronic files and credit lines should be sent to your acquisition editor’s assistant.
Permission from Photographer
When using a photo studio make sure that the photographer knows what the photo will be used for (publicity purposes, marketing materials, possible use on book cover) and ask for written permission from them to use the photo for these purposes. Send their credit line to us with your photo file. If you have a friend or relative take the photo for you, make sure to send along a photo credit for them, unless they prefer the credit to read, “Photo courtesy of author.”