1. Masculinity, Whiteness, and Postmodern Self-Consciousness: Vladimir Nabokov, John Barth, Kurt Vonnegut, and Richard Powers
2. Rage against the Dying of the Author: Philip Roth, Arthur Phillips, Ruth Ozeki, Salvador Plascencia, and Percival Everett
3. The New Journalism as the New Fiction: Tom Wolfe, Norman Mailer, Hunter S. Thompson, Joan Didion, Mark Leyner, and Bret Easton Ellis
4. Trauma Autofiction, Dissociation, and the Authenticity of “Real” Experience: Kurt Vonnegut, Raymond Federman, Tim O’Brien, and Jonathan Safran Foer
5. Memoir vs. Autofiction as the Story of Me vs. the Story of “Me”: Philip Roth, Richard Powers, Bret Easton Ellis, and Ron Currie Jr.
Appendix: American Autofictions